Remove Startup Items on Mac : Having to deal with start-up items on a Mac can sometimes become annoying and time-consuming. As a user. Every time you turn ON or restart your Mac, certain applications and activities launch themselves in the background without your knowledge or involvement. It could be startup items or. sometimes, login items, however, both of them start running automatically every time you open up your Mac book.
Startup items usually don’t ask your permission before launching themselves, the process is automated. They’re actually quite helpful and most of them run in the background to make sure your Mac is running smoothly at all times. But, sometimes, you might want to remove those startup items and that’s exactly what you’re going to learn in this article.
Remove Startup Items On Mac
There are various types of startup items such as applications login items, user login items, launch daemons, launch agents, etc, they’re meant for different purposes on your Mac. However, the problem is you can’t remove all of them manually. You can only remove user login items manually on your Mac and the steps for the same are below.
- Fire up your Mac and open up the “System And Preferences” menu.
- Navigate to the “Users And Groups” option on the next screen.
- Select your username located in the left corner of the interface to proceed.
- On the next window, switch over to the “Login Items” tab to begin.
- Wait for the list of startup applications to load up on the next screen.
- Now select a program from the list that you wish to remove from the startup list.
- Click on the (-) symbol located at the bottom of the interface to remove the program.
The selected program or application will no longer start running automatically in the background whenever you start up your Mac. In case you want a particular program to start up silently in the background without having its window opened up on your screen, then follow these steps.
- Open up the list of startup items by following the aforementioned steps.
- Select a program the list that you want to hide every time you turn ON your Mac.
- Locate the “Hide” checkbox right next to the program in the list and check mark it.
- Confirm the change and close the settings, that’s all!
Next time, when you boot up your Mac, the selected program’s window or interface will not show up on your screen, however, it will continue to run in the background silently.
Alternate Method To Remove Startup Items On Mac
If you want to disable all the startup items rather than just login items, then you will have to rely on a third-party application called Clean My Mac. The software allows you to quickly disable all sorts of startup items and makes your Mac-book load faster than usual.
- Go ahead and install the Clean My Mac from the official site on your Mac.
- Launch the Clean My Mac application and wait for the initial setup to complete.
- Navigate to the “Optimization” tab located in the left corner of the interface.
- Click on the “Login Items” option and wait for the startup items list to appear.
- Select any program from the list that you want to disable on startup.
Manually, you can only remove login user startup items, of course, there are complicated ways to dig deeper and disable other startup items too. If you wish to save yourself from the trouble of going deep into the settings, then try out the Clean My Mac which allows you to disable any startup item with just one click on your Mac. Let us know if you face any issue or have any questions to ask in the comment section below.